Gotu Kola has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine for its many health benefits, including promoting skin health and reducing the signs of aging. In recent years, it has become a popular ingredient in skincare products due to its many benefits.
Gotu Kola, also known as Centella Asiatica, is a therapeutic herb belonging to the Apiaceae plant family. In Ayurveda, Gotu Kola has been used since ancient times as a rasayana herb that promotes skin health and delays aging.
Scientifically referred to as Centella Asiatica, Gotu Kola's medicinal properties have led to its widespread use in the pharmaceutical and skincare industries. It is a rich source of pentacyclic triterpenoids, a group of phytochemicals known for their powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anticancer, hepatoprotective, and wound-healing properties. Further, Gotu Kola effectively stimulates collagen production, making it a highly sought-after anti-aging herb.
Here are some of the benefits of Gotu Kola for skincare:
- Hydrates Skin: Bioactive ingredients in Gotu Kola such as triterpenoid saponins, triterpenic steroids, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, and essential amino acids help repair the skin barrier and prevent transepidermal water loss. With increased moisture content in the stratum corneum, your skin appears plump, hydrated, and healthy.
- Rich In Antioxidants: Gotu Kola is full of antioxidants like Asiatic acid, madecassoside, and madecassic acid. These compounds can help increase the body's antioxidant activity, fight free radicals, and prevent premature skin aging.
- Used For Skin Cleansing: Gotu Kola has amazing detoxifying properties according to Ayurvedic science. It cleanses your skin and removes harmful toxins that are known to cause various skin conditions. Further, its astringent nature removes excess oil from the face, keeping your pores clean.
- Used To Tighten Loose Skin: Phytochemicals, especially triterpenoid saponins and polyacetylenes in Gotu Kola, are known to promote collagen production, prevent collagen breakdown, and stimulate the proliferation of fibroblasts. This gives the skin structural support and improves its elasticity.
- Accelerates Wound Healing: Gotu Kola can work magic on wounds and burns. Its antiseptic properties prevent further infection, and its anti-inflammatory abilities reduce swelling around the wound site. Gotu Kola calms the skin and improves blood supply to the wound for quick healing. It improves collagen production and fibroblast proliferation, thus accelerating re-epithelialization and wound contraction.
- Has Skin Brightening/ Whitening Properties: Gotu Kola is listed as a 'varnya' (skin lightening) herb in Ayurvedic texts. Its extracts containing centelloids, flavonoids, and phenolic acids have been found to inhibit tyrosinase activity and reduce melanin production, thus brightening the skin and reducing hyperpigmentation.
In Kajo Nordic Beauty, we believe in the power of combining traditional Nordic ingredients with other potent ingredients from around the world. That's why we've incorporated ingredients from Asia, like Gotu Kola, into our products to offer a unique and effective skincare experience that's inspired by the beauty secrets of different cultures.